The Five Kingdoms
Subject Area: Science
Grade Level(s): 5-6
Duration of Activity: 3-5 days
Description of Activity:
The students will research the five kingdoms and in groups create a graphic organizer, giving examples of each of the five kingdoms. The students will create PowerPoint presentations that describe and give examples from each of the five kingdoms.
- The students will research the five kingdoms and in groups create graphic organizers, giving examples of each of the five kingdoms.
- The students will create PowerPoint presentations that describe and give examples from each of the five kingdoms.
- Personal computer (1 per group)
- PowerPoint software
- Microsoft Word software
- Handout 1: Five Kingdoms Research Handout
- Handout 2: Five Kingdoms Chart
- Handout 3: Five Kingdoms PowerPoint Assesment Rubric
- Handout 4: PowerPoint Directions
- Science textbook (optional)
Prerequisites (skills or background needed):
- Students need to be able to search the World Wide Web for specific information. They should understand the concept of classifying living things as a scientist would.
The teacher will introduce a particular type of classification. Students will classify things that fit within that classification. (Example: writing instruments-pencil, pen, marker, chalk).
The students will work in groups to create PowerPoint presentations. Groups will be divided into A, B, C, D, and E roles. Their duties are as follows:
- Typist/research kingdom 1, Plant Kingdom
- Typist/research kingdom 2, Animal Kingdom
- Typist/research kingdom 3, Protist Kingdom
- Typist/research kingdom 4, Fungi Kingdom
- Typist/research kingdom 5, Moneran Kingdom
Students who have difficulty reading can have a peer-tutor to assist with research. A handout of the PowerPoint template could be used in place of the actual PowerPoint software for students not comfortable with using the computer.
Have the groups create a database of facts. Each group can provide information for one kingdom, presenting what they have learned about that kingdom through their research.
- Use a Handout 3: Five Kingdoms PowerPoint Assesment Rubric to assess the students' work.
- Identify and describe structures and functions
- Explore the diversity and adaptations of organisms
- Classify organisms by their similarities
- Investigate structure and functions in living systems
National Educational Technology Standards (NETS):
- Apply productivity/multimedia tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, group collaborations, and learning throughout the curriculum.
21 Life Science (Level 11-21/22)
Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of life science. Apply life science knowledge to investigations and real-world contexts.
Through text, diagrams, and drawings, provide explanations of life science concepts and principles.
Link and Feedback to Author(s):
Pam Hightower, Houlka Attendance Center, Houlka, MS
Teresa Moore, Houlka Attendance Center, Houlka, MS