Triangles for 5th and 6th Grade
Duration of Activity:
Description of Activity:
The students will view a PowerPoint presentation that introduces and reviews the different types of triangles.
- The students will view a PowerPoint presentation that defines and shows the different types of triangles.
- As a group activity, the students will use the PowerPoint presentation slides in a printed format to identify the different types of triangles.
- The students will take a written assessment on the different types of triangles.
- Computer with large monitor or projection device
- Internet access
- Handout 1: PowerPoint Presentation on Triangles
- Handout 2: Triangles Assessment
Prerequisites (skills or background needed):
- Prior knowledge of angles and vectors
- Basic knowledge of PowerPoint software or other presentation software
- The teacher will prepare the PowerPoint presentation prior to class. Handout 1: PowerPoint Presentation on Triangles provides and example of what this handout can look like.
- The teacher will discuss different types of triangles, using the PowerPoint presentation as a teaching tool.
When showing the presentation to the class, it is possible to use the pen tool to mark the angles and note the length of each side. To use this tool, right click on the mouse. On the drop-down menu that appears, select "Pen." The mouse can be used to control the pen that appears. To change the color of the pen, right click and select "Pointer Options." A variety of choices of colors will appear.
As you move to the next or previous slide, the marks you have made will disappear. The advantage of using this tool lies in not having to recreate your original drawings each time you use them.
- The teacher will give the students Handout 2: Triangles Assessment for identifying the different types of triangles.
- The students will use Handout 1: PowerPoint Presentation on Triangles as a tool to learn how to identify the different types of triangles.
- The students will practice identifying the different types of triangles using printed handouts of the PowerPoint presentation.
- The students will complete Handout 2: Triangles Assessment and identify the different types of triangles.
- Students can use the printed PowerPoint presentation to help identify the different types of triangles.
- Students can create flash cards using the PowerPoint presentation print out.
- In groups of two, the students can use the flash cards as review the different types of triangles.
- Students can create their own PowerPoint presentations that identify the different types of triangles.
- Students can create another PowerPoint presentation that expresses another math skill. This would be a good activity to create for sharing with students in a lower grade level.
- Students can visit MATHO to practice naming geometric shapes.
- Students could use draw or paint programs to create characters/animals using different triangular shapes and share their creations with the class.
- Handout 2: Triangles Assessment, a written assessment based on the PowerPoint presentation used during class.
- Identify, describe, compare, and classify geometric figures. (P, M, G, N)
- Explore geometric patterns and relationships. (P, M, G, N)
National Educational Technology Standards (NETS):
- Use general-purpose productivity tools and peripherals to support personal productivity, remediate skill deficits, and facilitate learning throughout the curriculum. (3)
- Use technology resources for problem solving, self-directed learning, and extended learning activities. (5,6)
14 Geometry and Spatial Sense (Level 10-21/22)
Demonstrate spatial sense and an understanding of geometry by visualizing and identifying two- and three-dimensional objects, classifying shapes, recognizing symmetry, using transformations, applying geometric formulas, and evaluating properties of geometric figures.
Use manipulative shapes to explore spatial relationships, patterns, and model geometric problems.
Link and Feedback to Author(s):
Houlka Attendance Center, Houlka, MS